One of Promise and Choice Together’s (PaCT) Neighborhood’s Goals is to increase access to fruits and vegetables.
Eating a minumum of 5 fruits and vegetables daily comes with a variety of health benefits including:
- Eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy dietmay reduce risk for heart disease, including heart attack and stroke.
- Eating a diet rich in some vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet may protect against certain types of cancers.
- Diets rich in foods containing fiber, such as some vegetables and fruits, may reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
- Eating vegetables and fruits rich in potassium as part of an overall healthy diet may lower blood pressure, and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and help to decrease bone loss.
- Eating foods such as vegetables that are lower in calories per cup instead of some other higher-calorie food may be useful in helping to lower calorie intake.
The PaCT Health and Wellness Committee in partnership with the San Antonio Food Bank has allocated funds to provide 20lb bags of fruits and vegetables to families in our neighborhood.
*Minimum request of 100 food bags in order to be delivered. If your request does not meet the minimum requirement arrangements can be made for your organization to pick up bags at the Food Bank.
If you are hosting an event in zip codes 78208 or 78202 and you would like to submit a request for fruit and veggie bags – please fill out the attached request form and submit to Monica Saucedo at least two weeks prior to the event date.